NASA SLS Wet Dress Rehearsal for Artemis I Completed! But, What Happened to the Leak Issue?

NASA's SLS wet dress rehearsal is finally completed! The international space agency said that they were able to meet most of their objectives during the latest Space Launch System test.

(Photo : GREGG NEWTON/AFP via Getty Images)

The massive Artemis I rocket is illuminated at dusk atop a mobile launch platform en route to Launch Pad 39B from the Vehicle Assembly Building at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida March 17, 2022.

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration confirmed this exciting achievement during its press release, which happened on June 24.

"NASA has reviewed the data from the rehearsal and determined the testing campaign is complete," said the international space union via its NASAGov website.

NASA SLS Wet Dress Rehearsal for Artemis I Completed!

Since the Space Launch System wet dress rehearsal is already finished, NASA said that it will deliver the Orion capsule, as well as the SLS mega-rocket back to VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building), which is located at Kennedy before June ends.

(Photo : Aubrey Gemignani/NASA via Getty Images)

In this handout provided by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket with the Orion spacecraft aboard atop a mobile launcher as it rolls out of High Bay 3 of the Vehicle Assembly Building.

Also Read: NASA Psyche Mission's Metal Asteroid Location Has Been Mapped! Here's What MIT Experts Discovered

According to Gizmodo's latest report, NASA officials announced that around 90% of the test objectives were achieved. However, they didn't confirm what the remaining 10% are and if these factors were a big deal.

As of writing, the Artemis 1 mission is expected to blast off no later than this coming summer. But, since there will no longer be wet dress rehearsals, this estimated launch date is expected to happen a little early.

However, the decision will still depend on NASA. Meanwhile, the Artemis 2 mission is expected to take off around 2024.

What Happened to the Leak Issue?

NASA did not confirm if the hydrogen leak issue, which was discovered in SLS's tail service mast umbilical, is already fixed.

To complete the final wet dress rehearsal, NASA engineers decided to reconfigure the ground countdown sequencer so that it can ignore the leak problem.

Because of this, the space union's countdown clock continued to T-minus 29 seconds, allowing the test to finish. NASA explained that before it set a specific launch date, it will first replace the hardware connected with the leak issue.

If you want to see more details about the final SLS wet dress rehearsal of NASA for the upcoming Artemis 1 mission, you can click this link.

Previously, NASA's James Webb Telescope was hit by a micrometeoroid.

On the other hand, the NASA InSight Mars lander might soon be terminated.

For more news updates about NASA and its upcoming space activities, always keep your tabs open here at TechTimes.

Related Article: NASA's Psyche Delayed Launch Due to Software Glitch, Affects Two Probes That Were Supposed to Ride Along

This article is owned by TechTimes

Written by: Griffin Davis

ⓒ 2021 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.